Rox Chox is a really delicious chocolate candy bar.
Rox Chox is more than a candy bar, though. The unprocessed raw cacao and coconut in Rox Chox are chock full of nutrients, enzymes, and feel-good antioxidants, and the only sweetener we use is actually recommended by dentists because it promotes oral health. And it is so delicious that most people are surprised it is sugar-free and safe for many restricted diets. We are so happy to provide a sweet and amazingly healthy treat to folks who have food sensitivities and our Rox Lab is free of most allergens, but Rox Chox is also for anyone who just loves delicious chocolate.
And yes, it really is very good for you.
Today I described Rox Chox as simply, 'Very rich, very dark, sweet, and a little bit salty'. Because there are the top-notch ingredients and business ethics behind this treat, but what really counts is what is in your mouth. One of the most rewarding moments is when I am giving away Rox samples and I see the look of surprised delight on a first-time Rox taster's face. The taste of this chocolate... it is to LIVE for!
Here's why Rox Chox are special beyond deliciousness:
- Our ingredients are organic, fair-trade sourced, and mostly raw (unroasted), preserving the beneficial minerals, enzymes, and antioxidants found in unprocessed cacao and coconut. All those new findings on the amazing benefits of chocolate are right, but not if you roast it and then add sugar and dairy, so...
- Our treats are free of Sugar, Soy, Gluten, Dairy (vegan), Nuts and GMOs. That means, yes, our chocolate is good for when you are cleansing and need a treat, or if your body is sensitive to sugar. Our only sweetener, Xylitol, has a low glycemic index of 13. But Don't Let Your Dog Friends near! Xylitol is poison to them.
- We handcraft our chocolate in small batches in the USDA-certified Rox Chox Raw Lab in Southeast Portland, Oregon. Our facility is dedicated to only making Rox Chox, so any potential allergens are checked at the door.
- Rox Chox are individually packaged in compostable cellulose bags. Our shipping materials are gleaned from local co-ops.
- We offer Rox Chox in bulk to our stores, as a more sustainable and affordable option. If you would like to cut back on packaging and fill your container with chocolate, you could ask your store to carry Rox in Bulk.
The story of Rox Chox
This richly decadent chocolate treat began in the winter of 2010 when I, Rochelle, had doc's orders to go on a very restricted diet and couldn't eat sugar of any kind. I didn't care too much about carbs or refined sugar, and fruits were really hard to give up, but I could not give up chocolate. In a seventh grade time capsule I included chocolate chips and asked my future self if it was wrong to sneak chocolate from the kitchen at night (it's totally ok, child-self - here's some Rox Chox). I come from a long line of chocolate lovers. I love chocolate. There was no chocolate on the market that I could eat, so I started making my own.Over the course of a snowy cabin winter in the Willamette National Forest in Oregon, I experimented with recipes. By springtime I had it down. I always traveled with Rox Chox and shared it sparingly with friends. They told me that it was so delicious that I had to sell it. I had been working at People's Food Coop as a collective manager for four years in the Grocery department, so I knew that there really was nothing else like Rox Chox out there. A delicious sugar-free chocolate that is super good for you? And Vegan? And Raw? And almost all Organic? And Fair Trade? For Real!
Rox Chox was born in a whirlwind. In May of 2011 I got started with the research on legalities, rented some commissary time, did a trial run of bulk Chox at People's Food Co-op where I work, and decided to go for it. In June, my partner River, who is a Culinary Professional, joined me as head of production. We have been paying for everything as we go, building this business one step at a time as sustainably and compassionately as possible, and we have been delightfully rewarded by so many of our fans sharing their love for our lovingly crafted chocolate. Thank you.